Ubuntu 8.10 on HP EliteBook 8530p
Back to posting some useful stuff with my new PC, an HP EliteBook 8530p (model number FU617AW).
Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit is working like a charm on it.
My configuration is the following:
- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53GHz
- 4 GB of DDR2 RAM
- 250GB SATA HDD at 7200 RPM (the model from hdparm -i is ST9250421AS)
- Screen 15.4” WXGA & WSXGA+ Widescreen
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
- Ethernet, 802.11abgn. Bluetooth
The only small quirks are the following:
- in the BIOS you *MUST* switch off “Fan Always on while on AC Power”, otherwise the kernel will not boot. Upgrade to the latest firmware version F.06.
- to make work Skype I followed this excellent guide. The configuration of the Sound Device is: Sound in=HDA Intel, Sound Out=pulse,Ringing=pulse
- VMware Workstation 6.5 64 bit works very fine, be sure to invoke “vmware-modconfig –console –install-all” if you upgrade the kernel. Besides, put this line “xkeymap.nokeycodeMap = true” in your ~/.vmware/config file to make work the keyboard inside the VM in Windows XP.
- if you experience annoying Video flickering while playing videos with Totem or VLC, run “gstreamer-properties” from a shell, and in the Video Tab select ‘X Window System (No Xv)’ for the Default Output Plugin, click Test and all should be well.
I’ll update this post for any relevant news.